I have had so much fun this year with this garden. It's so nice to have a little green inside. It's so dry here that we have to water every day! Especially my tomatoes and basil. They let me know when they are thirsty. Ezra helps me water the garden every morning as we "take a tour" in honor of Grandma Theresa, Grandma Debbie and Jill. :) So, I thought I'd give you a tour as well. It doesn't do justice in photos, but it will have to do. :)
That's right! We have tomatoes! 2 of them for now. They just might be ready to eat when Mom and Jill are here!
We have 2 tomato plants on the left, Thai basil in the middle, Zinnias next to that, and Aster on the right.
(These are quite large pots, by the way, about 10-12" in diameter! And the tomato plant on the left is more than 2 feet tall! Photos are a little deceiving.)
(These are quite large pots, by the way, about 10-12" in diameter! And the tomato plant on the left is more than 2 feet tall! Photos are a little deceiving.)
Here is a close-up of the Thai basil flowers. They are so beautiful and have a wonderful fragrance!
Next, we have savory on the left, cilantro behind that, oregano front and center, chives next to that, and sweet william flowers in the back corner. Still don't have any flower buds coming on that one...must take a while.
Here is a close-up of the savory flowers. They are so cute and delicate!
Oh, and what do we have here?! Strawberries!!! They are just starting to turn red, too! They are a miniature sweetness variety. Hope to have a little strawberries and ice cream with Deb and Jill soon!
And here are my crazy squash. I'm having trouble getting any female buds to bloom, so I don't know if I'll be able to get them pollinated to get some fruit! Oh, well. It was a fun try...adds a little green at least.
And before Matt headed out into the wilderness, I had to make some watermelon and crawlers! Mmmm. One of my all-time favorites! This is the first time I've ever made them on my own, though! I actually got a few to puff up and they tasted pretty good!
Here's Matt showing how to put them together! (This is totally Matt!) How cute...
And the night before Matt left, we had Shinee, Pascal and Namu and Munhuu over for supper. It was also Father's Day, so I made Matt an apple pie. Also the first time ever making an apple pie...I'm almost ashamed to admit that. But it turned out pretty good! It was also the first time our friends had ever had American Apple Pie! They loved it!
Shinee also brought over a yummy German treat..Apple cake. I don't remember now what they called it. It was a chocolate cake with apples in it. MMMmmmm. We had no lack of tasty treats to celebrate Father's Day!
That's all for now from the Urban Gardener and the Country Cook!












I'm so glad you got to get together with Shinee and family! Cool! All your food and garden looks great! I want the crawlers recipe. It looks like health food (NOT!).
ReplyDeleteLooks great! I am impressed that you made watermelon and crawlers. We had some a few weeks ago at the folks' and it was awesome. I haven't made any this year, although I try to once or twice a summer. Brenda Elton
ReplyDelete