Friday, May 21, 2010

To market, to market to buy...

Well, we don't exactly buy fat pigs here (they are too expensive), but we do get a variety of other things from the markets around town. This post is a tribute to my Mom. Sorry, it has taken me so long to show you what the markets looks like!! Soon we will be home and we'll have many pictures to share with you all in person, hopefully. :) 

First, I'll take you to the "Black Market". This is not the illegal kind that you think of, it's just what it is called. This is one of the first places we visited in UB. This stand is where we bought our white dishes and salt and pepper shaker.

The market is huge (about 2 football fields big) with row upon row of vendors selling just about anything from clothes to rugs to appliances, and even gold fish and puppies sometimes. :) And indoor markets to buy meat, veggies and fruit. This place is usually PACKED when it's nice out, but we happened to be there when it was -20 and windy so there weren't too many other brave souls looking for a good deal that day.

They love purses here! (Mom, you'd definitely be able to find one you like here!) Mongolians are very fashionable, so you will find many "designer" labels at the market (mostly from our neighbor to the south).

Next, we'll head to the meat market. Our good friend Odka takes us to the market very early in the morning when we need to get more meat to cut up (see one of our earlier posts to see that process!). This is one of the delivery trucks. It's about -20 outside so there's no problem keeping the meat cold. :)

And here's another delivery truck. Not quite sure what these lucky animals are, probably sheep. They eat a LOT of mutton here.

 So, once the meat is delivered and off-loaded, they bring it inside and cut it up and sell it. This picture is blurry because as I was taking it someone looked at me with a stern face and told me I can't take pictures here (don't really know why?). Here is Josh and Jennifer looking at some horse, I believe. The last time we were at the meat market we bought our first camel and some more horse, no beef. The beef is about twice the price as camel and horse, and we think they all taste about the same. (Of course, now that I'm pregnant, camel and horse haven't sounded as appetizing as they did before.)

Now, we'll head to Mercury, where we buy all our veggies, eggs, beans, and import goods (for the most part). There are two big rooms with individual vendors all around the room, selling mostly the same stuff: fruit, nuts, dry-goods, oil, peanut butter, etc. There isn't much you can't find here. Last week, I splurged and bought a package of pre-made hashbrown rounds (34 for $4). They are so yummy!

These are my olive oil (extra virgin, cold-pressed even!) and cheese ladies, they are mother and daughter. They are both very kind and generous, and always give me and my friends a good deal. The daughter knows a little English and likes to practice when I stop by.

The back room has all the veggies and meat (we buy our meat at the meat market above which is on the other side of town, but we do get our chicken here). Again, many vendors all selling mostly the same things.

Here is my veggie lady. She is also very sweet and kind and always has a huge smile on her face when she sees us. As you can see, she has many yummy veggies: spinach, cilantro, broccoli, cucumbers, cauliflower, carrots, tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, lettuce, zucchini, garlic, onions, radishes, mushrooms, and usually if she doesn't have it and I ask her for something, she will go get it from a friend next door, like green beans, pumpkins, or spicy peppers. :) No shortage of good eats here, so come on over and I'll whip something up for ya!

And last, but not least, my fruit lady (she's on the left). I took this photo from our living room window. Her stand is right on the corner near the bus stop. So every time we catch a bus, she smiles and waves at us. She also knows a little English and often asks me how to say things. Earlier this same night, I bought a bunch of apples from her and went home and made my Grandma Mildred's apple crisp (and was it yummy!). I took a piece down to her once it was made and she was so excited to try some American food. I saw her later from the window, sharing with her friend next to her (it's the white box in front of the lady on the right). It's amazing to me how even though they are all selling the same thing, they don't seem to care if you buy something from them or their friend next door. They never seem to harbor any ill-intent towards their neighbor, but they are friends and work together and help each other. She is so sweet, just like her yummy fruit! I'm sad to be moving soon and not see her almost every day, but I know that He will bring me another fruit lady when we return to our new home in UB.

Hope you've enjoyed the tour of the UB markets!
We look forward to seeing you all soon and tasting some good home cooking!

Much love to you all,
Jess

4 comments:

  1. This all looks nice. Now I am hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun to see! Thanks for sharing!
    Bobby Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see these pictures. Grandma would be so proud to know her apple crisp has made it around the world!! Will be good to see you soon- mom & dad!!! Cheryl

    ReplyDelete